Yield: 20 roasted tomato halves.
Preparation is easy
Preparation time is 4 ½ hours
- 10 ripe tomatoes, stems and core removed
- 4 cloves garlic, whole
- ¼ cup olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Cut the tomatoes in half and lay them cut side down on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle the oil over the top of them. Add the whole garlic cloves. Divide the thyme between the tomatoes and bake until the skins become loose, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the tomato skins and discard them. Pour any juices that have accumulated into a bowl and reserve. Return the tomatoes to the oven and reduce the temperature to 275 degrees Fahrenheit. Continue to roast and pour off the juices until the tomatoes are slightly shrunken and appear cooked.
- Set aside to cool. Transfer to a container and store in the fridge for up to a week or the freezer for up to 6 months.